Frequently Asked Questions
- How does therapy work?
- Is therapy confidential?
- How can I tell if you are the right counsellor/therapist?
- How long will therapy take?
- How much does counseling/psychotherapy cost?
- What if I can’t afford therapy/counseling?
- What are the modes of payment?
- What are therapy goals?
How does therapy work?
Unlike the traditional medical model of intervention where you will do as directed by the health professional, psychotherapy will be a partnership with you and me. You will be an expert on your life experiences, your thought, behavioral, and emotional patterns, as well as your therapy goals. As a therapist, I bring evidence-based practices in the field of mental health that we can explore and learn together in a non-judgmental and safe environment to help you gain insight and learn healthy ways of coping with this world.
Is therapy confidential?
The answer is yes. Therapy is confidential. The information you share with me are stored either online in a secure cloud system or stored in a secure physical space that has a lock and a key. There are certain limitations to confidentiality which include but are not limited to the following.
- When there is a risk of harm to you or someone else
- In case of apparent or suspected child abuse
- If you report sexual abuse on part of another health professional
- If you give me consent to share your health information with another individual
You can discuss these and other confidentiality limits when you do the initial consultation with me.
How can I tell if you are the right counsellor/therapist?
To help you make an informed decision, I provide one free phone/video consultation for 30 minutes which can help you decide if I am the right fit. You can use this time to ask questions and clarify any doubts that you have.
How long will therapy take?
The duration of therapy depends on a lot of factors such as the intensity of your mental health problems, the disorders you are dealing with, other support systems, your coping skills, etc. Normally 8 to 10 sessions are recommended after which you can discuss with your therapist whether you would like to continue therapy or move towards termination. You can take as few or as many sessions as you want. Recent research also supports single session therapy for certain mental health needs.
How much does counseling/psychotherapy cost?
For adults, I charge a flat rate of $120.00 per session and for students I charge $100.00 per session.
What if I can’t afford therapy/counseling?
I offer discounted rates to a select number of clients. If you are looking for even lower rates or free services, I can connect you with other professionals and/or organizations who will be able to offer services at a price you are comfortable with.
What are the modes of payment?
You can pay me via cheque, credit card, or interac e-transfer.
What are therapy goals?
It is often good to have an idea of what you are seeking from therapy. Therapy without a purpose may not be helpful and even do damage. You can have one goal or multiple goals. You do not necessarily need to know your goals before you come for therapy. This is something you can discuss and prioritize in your first session with me. Your goals can also be changed in future sessions.
Examples of therapy goals include
- Being assertive and standing up for myself
- Managing anger
- Feeling less anxious and more confident
- Working on self esteem
- Understanding and managing symptoms of depression
- Improving relationship with my parents/children/partner
- Reducing smoking/ drinking/ weight
- Improving communication skills
- Understanding and managing challenges as an adult with ADHD, Autism, and/or Learning Disability
- Supporting a loved on on the spectrum, or who has ADHD, Autism, and/or a Learning Disability
- Dealing with burnout
- Managing perfectionism
- Feeling more comfortable in your skin
- Improving emotion literacy and so on…